Continuing education for PAs

Good evening! In tonight's post, I will breifly discuss some continuing education opportunities that I have/will consider after I achieve my physician assistant degree. These choices are pretty straight-forward, so the actual content of this post will be very minimal. Once I receive my masters degree and become certified as a PA, I will chose from the following options:

1.) continuing my career as a physician assistant

2.) applying to D.O. schools (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine)

3.) applying to M.D. schools (Medical Doctor)

While there are a lot more options of things I can pursue after my masters (working abroad, specializing in a field, etc.), I am leaning right now towards pursuing a D.O. degree. The program that I am most interested is through the Lake Erie College of Medicine. I would have to apply to the their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program and I would have to meet all of their requirements. The program is very open to accepting PAs, and I found the following quote on the college's website:

"Certified physician assistants (PA-C) who are interested in expanding their education and practicing independently now have an affordable and accelerated pathway to earn a DO degree and license." 


D.O.s are arguably not as well received as Medical Doctors in the medical field today because of their different and holistic approach to medicine. Nonetheless, they have been gaining reputation throughout the past decade. They like to treat their patients as a whole, caring for the systems of their body and their overall wellbeing. Often, they encourage and try to change some of the life choices of their patients. That part of their job is something that I am very interested in doing and I think that it is important for me to consider what I want to spend the rest of my life doing as I work through my PA degree in college.

Thanks for reading and have a great night,

-Meredith 


Site used: https://lecom.edu/academics/the-college-of-medicine/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does the medical field need PAs?

Nurse Practitioner vs. Physician Assistant?

Balancing school and sports