What does it mean to be a physician assistant?

Today's post is going to discuss what physician assistants do in the work place!

During my freshman year at Duquesne, I took a class that taught me about the role that PAs serve in the medical field. The exact freedom of a physician assistant varies based on the practice or hospital that they are working for. Overall, they preform primary care exams on patients and come up with diagnoses and treatment plans for the patients. Some PAs are even able to prescribe certain medications, it all depends on the place of work.

They also work with other professionals in their medical team such as: physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, nurses, medical doctors, and doctors of osteopathic medicine. It is important that physician assistants are able to work with all kinds of people and are able to keep their calm when faced with challenging situations. These are two skills that I will need to focus on improving throughout my professional career.

Additionally, PAs work under the jurisdiction of a physician, which is where the name "physician assistant" comes from. The doctors will direct and sign off on a lot of the decisions made by the physician assistant, but this also varies a little by practice. Some doctors prefer to approve decisions in person while some might approve decisions over the phone or from other locations. I found this part to be very appealing about my future job because I will be covered from a lot of lawsuits and legal problems.


Overall, I am trying to learn more about the physician assistant profession every day. With that knowledge, I am becoming more and more excited every day for what is to come!


Thanks for reading!

-Meredith <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does the medical field need PAs?

Dream speciality

Nurse Practitioner vs. Physician Assistant?