PA licensure?

Good afternoon and welcome to another post! So earlier today was thinking about what happens when I graduate from Duquesne...hopefully I will find a job but, what will I have to do in order to maintain my degree? Today's post will talk answer this question and will talk about what physician assistants have to do in Pennsylvania in order to keep their licensure.

The renewal requirements for PAs vary based on state, and the AAPA (American Academy of Physician Assistants) website lists the specifics for the state of Pennsylvania. It says that the PAs in Pennsylvania must initially pass the PANCE exam, which is the board exam for PAs that is set up by the NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants). Additionally, they must meet the yearly and biennial renewal requirements of the NCCPA once they have passed the PANCE exam.

One interesting part about Pennsylvania is that it does not require any "CME" or continuing medical education hours. About half of the 50 states do and half do not, so that is one interesting thing to consider. One thing that is specific just to the state of Pennsylvania is that they require all of their PAs to have: "3 hours of DHS-approved training in child abuse recognition and reporting requirements as a condition of initial licensure." One must renew this training by a 2 hour session that is approved by the designated licensure board.

I think that it is important to know the amount of work that I will encounter once I graduate from my college program, and well as the work in years to come. Also, it is essential that I understand that these regulations regarding licensure change from state to state. So, if I ever move out of my current state, I will have to know the new rules for renewing my license as a PA!


Thank you so much for stopping by,

-Meredith




Website article used and referenced: https://www.aapa.org/download/19739/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does the medical field need PAs?

Nurse Practitioner vs. Physician Assistant?

Balancing school and sports