Volunteering in the ER

Good afternoon! This post will be about my volunteer experience at UPMC East Hospital located in Monroeville, Pennsylvania. This occurred during both the summer and school year, and I accumulated over 100 hours of service altogether.

I worked at UMPC on the Emergency Room level restocking the rooms with various medical and household supplies. The items ranged from bed pans and sickness bags to bed linens and heated towels. I had a cart that was fully stocked with these materials and I would make rounds to all of the rooms to make sure that they had everything that they needed. I would also give the proper equipment to any medical team staff on duty.

Even though I did not have a ton of hands-on medical experience with patients, I did interact with them a lot. Through these interactions, I learned proper bedside manners and how to treat patients who were severely ill and in a lot of pain with respect. I was often the only visitor for many patients, so I learned how important it was to always give them a warm hello and a genuine smile. I know that this will be a vital quality to carry out in the medical field throughout my entire career because the wellbeing and happiness of patients is very important. Therefore, I am grateful for the opportunity that the staff at UMPC East gave me and to have learned such a valuable lesson!


Thanks for reading and have a great day!

-Meredith

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does the medical field need PAs?

Dream speciality

Nurse Practitioner vs. Physician Assistant?